Lea In Zambia

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Drama on the Nile

It's been a while since I've last posted... I seem to start every entry with that. So much has happened since my last post. I'll have to tell you all about it when I have more time on the internet. I just wanted to post quickly while I have the chance.

Raven and I arrived in Cairo this morning. Her friend Rebecca is here visiting as well... she's a lot of fun!! Tonight we went for a dinner cruise on the Nile. There were whirling durvishes (I have no idea how to spell that). Anyway, the performance was amazing. I'll try to post my photos first chance I get. The evening started with 3 dancers and a drummer. For some reason, one of the dancers felt compelled to come and pick me from my seat to join him in his dance!! It was a lot of fun. Luckly, I wasn't the only one picked from the audience. Only, it was just my luck that the skirt I was wearing was a bit big, so I was in fear of loosing my skirt during our dance!!! So that was akward, but over all, it was a good time.

There was also a belly dancer. She was amazing!! I've never seen anyone dance like that before. Well, it seemed as if some people were offended in the audience. The women who were wearing head scarves got up towards the end and walked out. But then, as the woman was dancing on the table, this man walked up behind her and kicked the table out from under her!!! And so the drama began, she got up in a rage and picked the cane she was dancing with and tried to beat him over the head!!! A bunch of men rushed out to hold her back, and also to hold back the man who had kicked the table out from under her. There was a lot of shouting in Arabic (which I clearly couldn't understand), but it was apparent that people were quite angry. I really felt bad for her. I mean, that guy didn't have to kick the table out from under her. So finally, everyone made their way out into the hallway to finish their "discussions" and the whirling durvishes came out for their performance.

It was an interesting evening. Tomorrow we're off to the pyramids and a couple of other places, then its straight onto an overnight train to Luxor (or maybe Aswan). The 10 days here are going to pass quickly, I can already tell. I'll post pictures as soon as I have the chance.

Also, my friend Libby got married on 2nd July. If anyone from her AMAZING family is reading this... I hope you had a great time during your travels to Zambia. I look forward to seeing you in America-Land. I'm so happy to have met everyone. And Lib... you were absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

my love to everyone.