Lea In Zambia

Friday, March 30, 2007

Good Bye Kabuta...

As it turns out, my village is at the center of the cholera outbreak; and even though there were no actual cholera cases from Chile Village (my village), Peace Corps isn't willing to take a chance. So right now, we are starting the process of looking for a new house, further inland from the lake. I understand why Peace Corps didn't want to risk letting me stay in the village, and believe me, I certainly don't want cholera; but there couldn't' have been a worse time for me to leave. There are so many projects going on right now. Luckily, I am working with some very reliable counterparts, and we're able to keep in touch and work on projects long distance. We're still planning on having our WASHE workshop, and completing the clinic project, but I just don't want to be away. I love my village, and my neighbors are wonderful. I feel so at home in Kabuta. I'm trying to find good things about this situation, but sometimes it's difficult. So I'm not sure where my new site will be, at least I can stay in my catchment area, so I can still work with my community, which is the most important part. I just wish I didn't have to move; but everything will be okay in the end, and if it's not okay, it's not the end.... I just have to keep telling myself that.

Hooray for Egypt!!

On a much happier note, Raven just booked our tickets for Egypt. We're going there for a holiday in July!! I'll be sure to post those pictures!