Lea In Zambia

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Zambia is amazing. I've just returned from my frist site visit in Mpeka in the Northern Provence. The villagers were so friendly, the first evening we were there the neighbors came over to dance and play the drums for us! On the second day I slaughtered the chicken we ate for lunch!! I had to stand on its wings until it stopped twiching, and there was blood all over my foot... but it was a good cultural experience. The chicken that was slaughtered before me actually got up after it's head was cut off and started running around, which brought a whole new meaning to "running around like a chicken with its head cut off". It was quite a site.

I'm learning Bemba which means that I could be posted in a variety of places in Zambia. I'm hoping for the Northern Provence, but I'll be happy anywhere.

I've just moved in with my host family 2 days ago. Things are going really well. When I get home from training, my Bamayo (host mother) prepares bathing water for me, after that, we eat dinner together, just my Bamayo and I. The children eat in another hut after we eat. There are 6 or 8 children, I'm not quite sure. Everyone is so friendly. I have yet to meet my Bataata (host father). He works very hard, and comes home after I've already gone to sleep and leaves before I get up. The two oldest boys (William and Timothy) speak English pretty well, so they help me with my Bemba. My Bamayo also speaks English but not as fluently as her boys. Last night, my Bamayo was teasing me. She said that since I'm learning Bemba so well, she is only going to speak English for 2 more weeks, then after that, only Bemba!! I tried to barter with her for more time, but it didn't seem to work, in fact, the more I tried the shorter the time became. So in the end, it was "in 2 days, no more English, only Bemba". I guess I'd better get crackin' on my Bemba!!

I have my own hut with my host family. It is much more than I expected. There is a small living room with furnature, and a bedroom with a bed. I feel bad because my hut seems to be nicer than that of the family.

Well, I'm at an internet cafe in Kitwe, and the group I'm with is finished. Ba Harriet (one of the language trainers) has been so kind to sit and wait for us all while we've been emailing for the past hour, so I don't want to keep her waiting any longer. I'm trying to post some pictures, hopefully you will be able to see them by clicking on the link in my blog. Please write, letters mean so much, and thank you to those who have written already. I miss you all so much.